Friday, March 7, 2008

Youngest master in the USA


Meet USA's newest master, Nicholas Nip. He's just nine years old!!
I'd like to congratulate him for breaking the record of being the youngest master in the USA!!
Since he is from the San Francisco bay area, I have some good stories about him.
Last year, he won the the California chess championships in San Mateo, I think for (K-8th ?) grade open section.
I was volunteering at the huge tournament since they needed help. I remembered when he just won the tournament and a tournament director told me, "Boy, he really knows how to play chess!" I though that was a nice compliment towards him.


Either in 2006 or in 2007, Barbara and I played a couple casual blitz games with him at a chess tournament.
He kept beating us! Just by playing him, I knew he was going to go far in chess!
Congratulations Nicholas!!

No comments: